West Newbury Fire Department
**PLEASE READ INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS BEFORE REQUESTING AN INSPECTION**
Certificate of Compliance · Smoke Detector & Carbon Monoxide Alarms (26F, 26F)
- Please test all your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms to ensure they operate BEFORE the inspection. If your detectors do not have test buttons then you are responsible for providing the means for testing the detector (i.e. magnet, test card, etc) Your permit/certificate will be issued on site, pending approval of the fire inspector.
- Please be advised that of April 5, 2010, the requirements for the certificate of compliance have changed. Please click on the link below for the new requirements for inspection.
Please read the Guide to the Massachusetts Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Requirements
Pay special attention to the following sections:
- Typical one and two family residences built before January 1, 1975
- Typical one and two family residences built between 1975 and August 27, 1997
- Typical one and two family residences built after August 27, 1997
- Typical one and two family residences built after January 1, 2008
- A Number Must Be On The House/Building At The Time Of Inspection. Your permit/certificate cannot be issued unless the number is present, as required by M.G.L. Chapter 148, Section 59.Hardwired smoke detectors MAY NOT be replaced with battery operated detectors.
- Interconnected, hardwired smoke detectors must ALL sound when any detector is tested.
- IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR SMOKE OR CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS PLEASE CALL THE FIRE PREVENTION OFFICE BEFORE YOUR INSPECTION APPOINTMENT.
Appointments are scheduled between 3 pm and 6 pm Monday thru Friday, on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis. Please request inspections no earlier than 48 hours from your inspection request submission and provide a date and 2 alternatives for the requested inspection.
A member of the Fire Prevention Office will contact you with the date and time of your inspection.
** Payments must be made in the form of a check or money order payable to the TOWN OF WEST NEWBURY.
Fee Schedule: $25
Note: Any certificate issued in accordance with provisions of M.G.L. Chapter 148, Sections 26F, 26F expires sixty (60)