2024 Housing Production Plan
The Housing Production Plan Stakeholder Working Group and MVPC consultants met on May 9th to discuss demographic and housing data as presented by MVPC. The Group will meet in June to discuss community outreach strategies. Anyone is welcome to attend these meetings. Watch this site for postings. Community focused meetings are being planned for later in the year.
Why should West Newbury Consider Housing Diversity, Options and Density
The Town is undertaking a process to update its Housing Production Plan that identifies the community’s housing needs, sets housing goals, and recommends strategies for making progress toward meeting both.
The project, led by the Merrimack Valley Planning Commission (MVPC) and guided by Town Planner, Sue Brown and a HPP Stakeholder Working Group (HPPSWG) will begin by gathering and assessing the most up-to-date information, including data from the 2020 US Census and current town building data to present the current state of housing in West Newbury so we can compare inventory, style, price and availability with projected growth and need. The project will then focus on identifying the community’s housing goals and building consensus on approaches we can use to increase housing production that are consistent with community values.
Who is guiding development of the HPP?
The Housing Production Plan Stakeholder Working Group is made up of representatives of several Town Boards/Committees, Town Staff, and a resident housing advocate. Their role is to help guide development of the Plan.
Wendy Reed Select Board, Affordable Housing Trust, Community Preservation Committee
Molly Hawkins Conservation Commission
Christine Marshall Council on Aging Director
Ann O’Sullivan Resident Housing Advocate
Angus Jennings Town Manager
Sue Brown Town Planner, Project Manager
What are the Next Steps?
The Town and MVPC have outlined the following work plan for developing the Housing Production Plan by early 2024.
- MVPC working with Town (2/23 – HPPSC) - Plan a 2-Part Community Meeting Series to 1) share information on the Process, state of housing and identify housing goals 2) share information and gather input on strategies for meeting goals.
- MVPC (12/22-3/23) - Collect, compile and create data visuals to portray current state of housing
- MVPC working with Town (3/23 – 4/23 – Public Meeting 1) – Present data and identify housing production goals
- MVPC working with the Town (4/23-9/23) – Gather community perspective on housing goals (Using various outreach strategies)
- MVPC working with the Town (7/23-8/23 - HPPSC) – Conduct SWOT analysis for each goal
- MVPC working with the Town (9/23-10/23 – HPPSC) – Develop strategies to increase housing production
- Town (10/23 – 12/23) – In house (departments, boards and committee’s) review of strategies
- MVPC working with the Town (1/24 – 3/24 - Public Meeting 2) – Draft and Finalize HPP
- MVPC (1/24 – 3/24) Create StoryMap to display and interact with housing goals
For Questions about this Project, please contact Sue Brown, Town Planner at 978-363-1100 ext 125 or at email@example.com
2018 Housing Production Plan
2023-2028 HPP Project Presentation Oct 27, 2022
Citizens' Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA)
Affordable Housing 101 - March Session
Mass Gov HPP Website
MassHousing Planning for Housing Production Grant Program
Mass Housing Partnership Housing Toolbox