The Training Field, located near the geographical mid-point of Main Street, became the civic town commons. In 1841, the Town House (old Town Hall) was constructed at the southwest corner of the common. As early as the Revolutionary War, militia used the common for assembly; today, the Training Field contains memorials to West Newbury residents who served in conflicts through the 20th century. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, a carriage shop and a blacksmith shop were located at the north perimeter of the green. In the mid-20th century, some residents operated small shops and stores from their properties. For example, in 1947, teachers Dorothy and Ronald Gibbons made and sold candy from a shop located in the rear ell of 10 Training Field Road. The G.A.R. Library was constructed in 1939 and forms the western boundary for the area.
For a slideshow of images of the Training Field from the collection of Dot Cavanaugh, click here